“The first step to finding a good game is to find some conviction.” – Johnny from “Seven Days in Utopia”
Convictions call for a response. When convicted, I will stand my ground, even in the face of overwhelming circumstances and insurmountable odds.
Recently, I read “Seven Days in Utopia”, a book by David Cook, which became a movie. This is a story of a young golf pro at a crossroads in his career. After a total meltdown in a high profile event, the golfer is considering quitting when he meets an unlikely coach. As the story unfolds, the coach shares significant life lessons with him.
In this video clip, the coach asks a very simple, but profound question. Why do you do the things you do? In a world of a thousand opinions on the right way to hold and swing a golf club, it is critical for a player to believe in his grip…in his method.
What a question! Why do I do what I do? Every day, when I get up and start my day…why am I going to the office…or school…or airport? Do I believe in it deeply enough to stand in the face of a challenge or challenger? Am I investing my life in something I believe in deeply enough to stand fast when trouble strikes?
In our journey to follow JESUS, we need convictions. JESUS promised we would have trouble in this life. What do I know about who GOD is and who I am to HIM that will carry me through trouble, trials, struggles and challenges? Our faith only runs as deep as our convictions.
Here are a few of my convictions, and verses that helped me reach these convictions:
GOD is real. HE is alive. HE is The ONE who spoke everything to be.
- “The LORD merely spoke, and the heavens were created. HE breathed the word, and all the stars were born.” (Psalm 33:6)
GOD loves you and me with an unfailing, unexplainable love. We can experience HIS love.
- “And may you have the power to understand, as all GOD’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep HIS love really is. May you experience the love of CHRIST, though it is so great you will never fully understand it…” (Ephesians 3:18-19)
HE is perfect; we’re not. Though we don’t deserve it, HE has made a way for us to be with HIM.
- “For GOD made CHRIST, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with GOD through CHRIST.” (2 Corinthians 5:21)
HE never leaves, forsakes or abandons us. HE has promised to be with us…forever.
- “I know The LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for HE is right beside me.” (Psalm 16:8)
- “Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)
Those are a few of my convictions. What are yours?