I mentioned this yesterday and wanted to follow up with you. Here's the breakdown for 5-5-5, so you can use it to engage JESUS CHRIST at home. If you have a plan to read GOD's Word and meet with Him, please don't feel like you have to change your routine. This is only meant to help those who have considered reading, praying and worshiping, but haven't been sure how to start.
5 minutes of Reading GOD's Word – take a few minutes to read or you can use the SOAP Method we've discussed before. This coming Sunday, we're beginning the book of John. If you read 3 verses of John each day, starting Tuesday, you'll be ready for Will's message. Here are my SOAP method notes
SOAP Method: John 1:1-3
- My Bible notes indicate it was written later than the other 3 Gospels, around 85 AD, by the apostle John
- Starts with introducing The WORD – a reference to JESUS; He existed in the beginning – before time
- The WORD (JESUS) was with GOD and He was GOD; supports/introduces concept of the TRINITY – JESUS and GOD being one
- GOD created everything through Him – supports JESUS in the beginning, before time, and that He created all things; this is also supported in Colossians 1:15-17
- Why did John call JESUS The WORD? Good research for me this week & a good thought going into WIll's message…
- Wow – the Bible says JESUS was with GOD from before Creation and He created the world through JESUS; I'm a little blown away GOD. Worship!
- Colossians 1 spells this our more; but CHRIST is/was GOD; all things were created through Him; He is divine! This shapes how I read about CHRIST; He was a man, but He was/is GOD, too.
- This shapes how I think about Creation, too. It further underscores my belief that at a moment, GOD spoke. Details, science, all other things fall under my belief that GOD Created through CHRIST by speaking something from nothing.
- What do I do with this? Just worship, fall on my knees and worship
Prayer: this final step of the SOAP method and it's the same as the 2nd step of 5-5-5. The benefit of studying the scripture and pulling out applications for my life is when I begin to pray, I have some specific ways I can ask The LORD to direct me.
5 minutes of Prayer - take 5 minutes to pray, asking GOD to join you in this day. Take a minute to listen, see if you sense GOD is asking you to do something, and then speak plainly to GOD, letting Him know your concerns.
5 minutes of Worship - take 5 minutes each day this week to listen to the hymn below and consider the lyrics. Listen, then sing these lyrics to GOD, praising Him.
Here is a version of Come thou Fount of Every Blessing:
Or another version if you don't care for Mumford and Son :):
Lyrics to Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing:
1. Come Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing thy grace; streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise. Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above. Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it, mount of thy redeeming love. 2. Here I raise mine Ebenezer; hither by thy help I'm come; and I hope, by thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home. Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God; he, to rescue me from danger, interposed his precious blood. 3. O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be! Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee. Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love; here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.